The following blog post has been upgraded and incorporated into an enhanced interactive, digital workbook called Manage to Lead: Seven Truths to Help You Change the World. IntelliVen visitors are invited to click here to view the updated and improved content on Inkling.
To pull this off, for each line of pursuit it helps to:
- Have a specific, hard-to-reach but achievable goal
- Work hard to reach the goal
- Know what to watch to know where you are in terms of reaching it
- Know you have, or will get, the skills and resources to be successful
- Enjoy it so much that you lose track of time in its pursuit
- Act intentionally on a chosen dimension to achieve a specific next stage of development
- Focus on just one or two or three at any point in time because it is hard to make much progress on more than one or two pursuits at a time and pursuing many paths at the same time results in thrashing and in being busy but with little progress
- Concentrate on one or two or three for a specific period and then switch to another one or two at another time as feels appropriate. E.g., in your mid-20s to late 30s you may focus on career and family then, in your 50s and 60s, work on travel, health and handicap.
To sum it up in four words: Act Intentionally…Persist Variously!